Extra Niyams for Devotees During Chaturmas
18 July to 12 November 2005
In the Shikshapatri, Bhagwan Swaminarayan
highlights the four holy months of Chaturmas as a special time for pleasing
God by offering extra devotion and performing austerities.
This year, Chaturmas is from 18 July 2005 (Ashadh sud 11) to 12 November
2005 (Kartak sud 11). To please Bhagwan Swaminarayan and guru Pramukh
Swami Maharaj, all devotees should undertake the following observances
during this period:
- One month of dharna-parna, chandrayan,
or other forms of fasting. Or observe ek-tana (one meal a day) during
month of Shravan (6 August to 3 September).
- Extra malas, dandvats, and pradakshinas
as per one's faith.
- Read one extra Vachanamrut and five
Swamini Vato daily.
- Read the biography of Bhagwan Swaminarayan,
parts 3 and 4.
- Inspire five people to give up addictions,
become satsangis, attend the Sunday satsang asssembly and hold a daily
family assembly (ghar sabha).
- As per the wishes of senior sadhus,
listen to audio blessings of Pramukh Swami Maharaj in 'Pramukh Swami
Maharajni Amrutvani - Samput-9'.
Chaturmas, devotees should not eat brinjals, white & red radish,
sugarcane or mogri.