The BAPS centenary year is an opportunity
for us all to offer our devotion to Bhagwan Swaminarayan and our guru
parampara by undertaking one or more of the special observances specified
by Pramukh Swami Maharaj.
1. A total of 14 observances have been specified, of which any number
from the 11 mentioned are to be observed individually and 3 are to be
observed on a mass level in mandals.
2. The observances undertaken should be sincerely observed throughout
The special observances are:
1. Mantra Lekhan
- Writing the Swaminarayan mantra in the
specially printed mantra notebooks.
- Each notebook has space for 25,200
mantras. So, this is the minimum one should undertake.
- Undertake to write more if your schedule
2. Jap Anushthan
- Jap is chanting of the Swaminarayan
- One anushthan = chanting the Swaminarayan
mantra 125,000 times while turning the mala.
- If one does 51 malas daily, it will
take 25 days to complete one anushthan.
- One can undertake to offer 5, 11, 21,
etc. anushthans. The number of malas to be turned daily can be adjusted
- These malas are in addition to what
one normally turns in daily puja.
3. Mantra Purushcharan
- The ‘Swaminarayan’ mantra
comprises six syllables:?Swa-mi-na-ra-ya-n.
- One purashcharan = chanting of a mantra
100,000 times, multiplied by the number of syllables in the mantra.
So, for the Swaminarayan mantra, chanting the mantra 600,000 times
is equal to one purashcharan.
- Thus, for the Swaminarayan mantra,
1 purashcharan = 5.25 anushthans, approx.
- Only undertake one observance from 2
4. Recitation of Janmangal Namavali
- The Janmangal Namavali is the 108 holy
names of Bhagwan Swaminarayan.
- One recital of the Janmangal Namavali
takes between 5 to 7 minutes.
- Resolve to complete a certain number
of recitals in the course of the year.
5. Dandvats (Prostrations)
- In addition to the dandvats offered
in one’s daily puja, you can undertake to offer 5, 11, 21, etc.
more every day.
- These extra dandvats may be performed
in one’s puja, ghar mandir or local mandir.
6. Pradakshina (Circumambulation)
- In addition to the pradakshinas performed
in one’s daily puja, undertake to offer 5, 11, 21, etc. more
- These extra pradakshinas may be performed
in one’s puja, ghar mandir or local mandir.
Shastriji Maharaj Jivan Charitra, Parts 1 & 2
Likhitan Shastri Yagnapurushdas, Parts 1 & 2
- Observances of 7 and 8 are essential
for all BAPS devotees to gain detailed knowledge of the Sanstha’s
history and philosophy. Reading these books will give an understanding
of the difficult circumstances faced by Shastriji Maharaj and generate
pride for the Sanstha.
- One should undertake to read both sets
of books at least once in the centenary year.
9. Mansi Puja
- As per the Swaminarayan Sampraday’s
tradition, mansi puja is performed five times daily: (1) in morning
puja, (2) at lunchtime, (3) at 4.00 pm, (4) after evening arti and
(5) at bedtime.
- As per one’s daily schedule,
undertake to perform 2, 3 or 5 mansi pujas every day.
- Mansi puja can be performed in the
home, place of work or even while travelling.
10. Antardrashti (Introspection)
- What is antardrashti? In Vachanamrut
Gadhada III-30, Bhagwan Swaminarayan instructs all devotees to be
constantly vigilant of the following three things: (1) at any time
we will have to leave this physical body, (2) for our moksha, we have
done certain things, yet, what remains to be done? , (3) has the desire
for worldly pleasures been eradicated from our mind?
- Also, Gunatitanand Swami points out
in his talks (2-35), “Always introspect during every task and
ask yourself, ‘I want to worship God and what am I doing?’
keep thinking like this.”
- To contemplate on these words and to
adjust one’s life accordingly is antardrashti.
- One should sit in a quiet place to
- A minimum of 3 minutes should be spent
in antardrashti daily.
11. Thinking of
One’s Prapti (Spiritual Attainment)
One should contemplate on one’s prapti as follows:
- It is my great fortune to have attained
Bhagwan Swaminarayan and his God-realized Satpurush, Pramukh Swami
- That God and guru who I want to attain
after passing away, have been attained in this life.
- I am fortunate and have been liberated.
- With this body, at any cost, under
any circumstances I definitely want to please Maharaj and Swami.
- In addition, one may contemplate on
one’s attainment as described in the Vachanamrut and Swamini
- A minimum of 5 minutes should be spent
daily thinking of one’s prapti.
12. Prabhat Feri (Morning Procession)
- Every month, on the morning of sud
5, all devotees of the local mandal should participate in the prabhat
feri through one’s neighbourhood.
- Dhun and bhajans should be sung during
13. Akhand Dhun (Chanting of God’s
- Every three months all devotees of
the local mandal should gather in the local mandir, or other suitable
location, and sing dhun for 3 hours.
- The date and time should be fixed and
announced in advance so that all can attend.
14. Pad Yatra (Pilgrimage by Foot)
- Once in the centenary year, devotees
should arrange to collectively walk to their nearest shikharbaddh
- Dhun and bhajan should be sung while
- Devotees should resolve to participate
in observances 12 to 14.