Extra Niyams for Devotees During Chaturmas
14 July to 9 November 2008
As instructed by Bhagwan
Swaminarayan in the Shikshapatri and by the wish of guruhari Pramukh
Swami Maharaj, devotees should undertake extra spiritual observances
through the four holy months of chaturmas. This year chaturmas is from
14 July 2008 (Ashadh sud 11) to 9 November 2008 (Kartik sud 11). To
please Bhagwan Swaminarayan and guruhari Pramukh Swami Maharaj, the
following extra observances should be undertaken:
- One month dharna-parna,
chandrayan, khatras, etc. or ek-tana during the month of Shravan.
- Extra malas, dandvats, pradakshinas as per one’s faith.
- Daily read one extra Vachanamrut and five Swamini Vato.
- Read parts 1, 2 and 3 of Yogiji Maharaj's biography.
- Those who do not have a copy of Yogiji Maharaj's biography should read 'Yogicharitam'.
- In accordance with the wish of senior sadhus, read the book 'Jena Gune Rijhya Girdhari'. Also, those who have facilities should listen to 'Pramukh Swami Maharaj's Amrutvani',
- Inspire five people to give up addictions, become satsangis, attend
satsang sabha and conduct a daily ghar sabha.
During Chaturmas, devotees should not eat brinjals, white & red
radish, sugarcane or mogri.