First BAPS International Festival, 1981 India:
Gloriously spread across an
area of 200 acres, the festival land was filled with fascinating
displays of designs and architectures of Indian Culture, unique
messages of moral living, and universal harmony were conveyed
through systematic programs. The 37-day festival was held
in Amdavad - one of the leading cities
The festival was celebrated to mark
the Bicentenary of Lord Swaminarayan, who had reached out to better
both the outer and inner life of man. Hence, all our festivals are
also popularly called 'Festivals for Better Living'.
Other Mega Festivals:
- A land of 200 acres was transformed
into a dazzling spiritual township called Swaminarayan Nagar.
- 10,000 youth volunteers worked day and
night for 3 months.
- Over 8 million people visited the festival.
- One majestic temple and four exquisite
gates with masterful designs created out of bamboo, jute cloth and
- A classic exhibition portrayed Indian
Culture, moral ideals and spiritual values through 30 breathtaking
- Inter – Religious Harmony. A 3-day conference
wherein 1,500 leading saints
and masters of different sects were called to embark upon projects
to enhance unity.
- Restoration of Peace. At the time when
Amdavad was torn apart by caste
and communal riots and killings, the festival atmosphere pacified
tension and spread a feeling of peace and harmony.
- Over 8,000 people vowed to shun addictions.
- 207 educated youths became saints to
serve God and society.
Selected pictures of this festival are
available in Photo Gallery.