- HDH Pramukh Swami Maharaj made a national
and international appeal to all communities and countries for help.
- A relief coordination office was set
up at the BAPS centre in Amdavad.
- BAPS centre in Chennai was transformed
into a relief centre.
- BAPS volunteers were instantly called
- Within 20 minutes, BAPS volunteers
were helping rescue workers on the Marina Beach in Chennai.
- Within 2 hours, BAPS centre in Amdavad
had prepared and airlifted 10,000 food packets to Chennai and many
thousands more were sent from centres in Atladra and Surat.
- By evening a relief kitchen was set
up on the East Coast Road (45 km from Chennai) which was serving hot
vegetarian meals and drinking water.
- BAPS centres in India and abroad started
a massive drive to collect, organise and transport relief aid to the
- Within 24 hours, BAPS survey teams
were already in the affected areas in the districts of Kancheepuram,
Viluppuram, Cuddalore, Nagappattinam, Kanniyakumari and Pondicherry:
- to assess precise extent of damage
caused by the disaster.
- to pinpoint devastated villages for
- to ascertain the number of survivors
and size of surviving families.
- to list requirements and quantum of
relief aid needed in each affected area.
- A precise list of required emergency
relief items were sent to all BAPS centres to ensure items in urgent
need were sent immediately.